One day I was having some fresh lime juice. I drunk 2/3 of the juice and let 1/3 of the juice open on my table. After some while I came into my room and found many little miniatures crowded into my glass in search of food. That day I thought my home and my whole surroundings are invaded by these little creatures. And those little things are called flies. They are called not only flies but also they can be called fruit flies.
Flies are 3mm in length and maximum of its body color is brownish. The most penetrating thing of them is their eyes. Those are red, big eyes which are really big. I think it’s bigger enough then their body.
In my sense their smelling power is the best. From a huge distance they can smell anything attractive to be their food. Flies can be bothering thing for you as they can lay about 500 eggs at time near the fermenting of foods. Larvae can be an adult within 8 to 10 days. They lay eggs on basket where all ripen things are thrown or in drain, mops and in empty bottles and cans. You would be surprised to know that they can even lay eggs on food sources.
I want to give you some exciting news about flies. For most of us flies are irritating insects but for some these little insects are very fruitful. This creature has engraved its name on the page of science. Fruit flies have been precious on the field of science.
Flies are irksome thing for us all. You always think when you eat fresh fruit about fruit flies. You can’t eat fruit with those irritating thing. So think of any way How to get rid of Fruit flies. Don’t worry! No need to think of much, I am going to give you much important information about how to get rid of Fruit flies and what to do in case your home is infested by it. There are few parts and those parts will contain all information or you can tell sub-part.
1.Hide Attractive Food Source:
Before you enter into using traps against flies, you must hide all of your food. Only using solution. There are few things that I am going to tell you now.
- The foremost thing you need to be concerned about not to toss garbage into wastepaper basket. I indicate garbage as food remaining.
- Ripen foods or seasonal fruits are main attraction for flies. Try to keep those fruit in bowl and use lid on it. Then you can store fruit in refrigerator.
- Clean open container of fruit juice and fermented items. Bottles of ketch up, vinegar and wine must be made clean. Because there leftovers on bottle may cause flies problem.
- Keep your soft fruit into brown bag. These will drive away flies to come contact of those fruits.
- Rotting fruit are the most valuable attraction for flies. Thrust aside all rotting fruits away from your home.
- If you have space outside your home then you can use to clean vegetables. I have some space and use it as cleaning location. Be careful about a thing when your washing is completed, place those vegetables in a bag and take it inside your home. Or else your little enemy flies will smell the fragrant of vegetables.
2.Cleaning Tips :
Another part is the cleaning section. Its subsets are stating underneath.
- Wash all of your dishes after eating. Avoid the habit of keeping sordid dishes.
- After washing dishes clean your sink drain. The scum inside the sink is the breeding ground for fruit flies. After 3 or 4 day pour boiling water down the sink or you can pour bleach or liquid antiseptic down the drain to kill flies. You can also use peppermint extract to get rid of flies for a long time.
- Don’t keep your rags close to the sink as they will provide a food-harboring attractant. Launder you dish rags daily to distract flies. Wash your garbage holder each day with hot boiling water.
- I want to inform you not to use plastic bag which are used before. Throw out your garbage daily and specially wet garbage.
- Wash your kitchen counter. Also wash dish washer every 2 days and under the stove. These places are very striking for flies.
- Wipe out the crumbs, remaining food material from kitchen cabinet and counter. This will attract not only fruit flies but also other vermin.
- The most important thing for me to clean your refrigerator once in a week. If not possible then once in 15 days.
- Watch your pantry daily if it is not infested by fruit flies. Clean your pantry once a week. As you keep many vegetables and ripen items.
There is several trapping method that I used before. Much of this I taught from my mum. They are very much effective for me. And may these techniques help you to get rid of fruit flies which are resided in your home.
4.Make mixture of your own:
Take a saucepan and add 1 cup milk. Then add ¼ cup sugar and 1tsp pepper. Then simmer the mixture for 10 minutes on medium heat. After 10 minutes remove it from heat and pour the mixture in a bowl. The fragrant of sugar and milk will attract the fruit flies and they sits in it the pepper will work as a suffocating element. So eventually the flies will die.
The bowl process system requires some step as follows
- Take a bowl and place some beer or wine in the bowl. I applied another mixture. I poured some wine and balsamic vinegar mixture. They work really great.
- Put a skinless orange into the bowl.
- Wrap plastic over the bowl so tight that there remains no wrinkle. Now pierce the plastic a little with a fork. Don’t make the hole bigger because the flies will find way to go out the bowl.
Just 15 drops of lemongrass oil are enough for 1 liter of warm water. Put the mixture in a spray container and spray with it twice a day. It will definitely work.
It is also like the above bowl process.
- In a bowl, sprinkle some yeast on 1/3 of water.
- Add 2 tsp of sugar and mix well.
- Instead of water you can use wine or beer. I used apple cider vinegar.
- When the yeast activated to crate foam, wrap the bowl with plastic very tightly. Then poke some small holes in it. In many cases, flies got into the trap but don’t find its way out.
It’s my favorite method to get rid of flies. Telling you by some process:
- Take a medium size bowl and pour 3 tbsp of water.
- Then add 2 tsp of detergent or liquid soap.
- Add apple cider vinegar into the water. Besides apple cider vinegar you can use wine or beer. I used coca-cola into water.
- By pouring vinegar or cola the mixture will create bubbles.
- Eventually the fruit flies will be attracted by the cola, wine or vinegar or whatever else you use as bait. Then they will be trap in it by the bubbles.
- You can use flavored liquid soap such as lemon or rose petal flavor.